This was supposed to auto post on 3/10 so….I guess you are getting a double dose of Yummm this week!
I have been attempting to be more domestic lately. Well…at least on the meal preparation front. However, with insane amounts of overtime from the last few weeks and everything else going on…my crockpot has been my best friend!
Oh the magnificent crockpot recipes that you can find on Pinterest!
When I found this recipe for Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Sliders from over at Home Sweet Home Ownership…I was pumped! Spicy food is right up Hubby and my alley! Just about anything that requires hot sauce is worth a try in our book. Since its crockpot friendly…it’s a must attempt in my book right now!
I’m not an expert cook and am usually a very big “follow the recipe” kind of gal. So, the lack of real measurements for the ingredients and such in the post bugged me a little. However, I did find some of the portion information I was looking for in the questions and comments of the post.
Sadly, this OT butt busting mama wasn’t fully thinking when I was out grocery shopping for meals. I missed that the recipe calls for both hot sauce and wing sauce. I got the hot sauce, but not the wing sauce.
Thank goodness for Google!
I was able to find out that you can make wing sauce from hot sauce. Sadly, I didn’t have enough hot sauce to make wing sauce. Thanks to a little more Google magic….I found ways to make your own hot sauce as well!
I found a recipe to make your own hot sauce courtesy of Google and yahoo answers. I took a screen shot of the recipe and now I can’t find the link to link to. Of course! But….here is the recipe that I found to make your own hot sauce in a pinch!
Apparently hot sauces such as Frank’s Red Hot are all made in similar manners with similar ingredients! Apparently they are all pretty much cayenne pepper, vinegar, water, and salt. This recipe calls for:
- 2 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/3 c Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Mix All Ingredients Well & use as you would any other hot sauce
That’s it. Apparently if you have cayenne pepper and vinegar…you’re good! Crazy, right?
Sadly, I didn’t try the homemade hot sauce on my own. I didn’t think about that till after the fact. I’m hoping that isn’t a big mistake.
After making the homemade hot sauce…I found the recipe for turning buffalo hot sauce into wing sauce on allrecipes.com. Once again, a very simple recipe. Maybe 8 ingredients and very easy and minimal steps in the process.
Once again, the idiot cook in me did not try the wing sauce after making it. So, I was once again hoping for the best! With all the homemade makeshift sauces…I was hoping all would go well.
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 4 Large Boneless Skinkess Frozen Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 bottle (12oz) Hot Sauce (Frank’s red hot or similar)
- 1 whole bottle (12oz) Wing Sauce (or my crazy homemade concoctions)
- 1 Packet Dry Ranch Mix
- 1 Package of “Slider buns” (Honestly…we had ***** buns so I used those instead since that is what we had)
HOW I DID IT
- I know the recipe says to turn the crockpot on and met the butter melt with the garlic in it, but this mama doesn’t have time for that this week. So, I took the butter and spread it all over the bottom of the crockpot. Then I added in the garlic and spread that all over evenly as well.
- I took my 4 frozen chicken boobs and de-thawed them just enough to be able to cut them in half. Once cut, I then coated the chicken in my Rupena’s Chicken Seasoning before putting them in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Add the whole bottle (or in my case concoction) of wing sauce, the half bottle of hot sauce, and the packet of Ranch mix to the crockpot and mix well.
Per the instructions on the site I pinned the recipe from, I was supposed to mix the sauces and the Ranch packet in the crockpot FIRST before adding the chicken. I’m assuming that’s to make the mixing easier if that’s the case, I did fine my way! If there’s another reason, I have no idea what it would be.
4. Cook on low heat for 2 hours is what the instructions the original recipe gave. Due to work, I was unable to only do so for 2 hours. In fact, I went home on break and put the crockpot on at about 1pm and didn’t get home till 5pm.
When I got home, the chicken in the crockpot was very watery. Lots of water. However, due to misreading the recipe and not having certain ingredients on hand (wing sauce) I had to improvise and make my own which could have caused a difference in consistency.
I used a soup ladle to spoon out the excess water from the pot. We used some rolls we had on hand which….in my opinion….were too hard for this sandwiches purposes. I would recommend a softer style bun or roll.
I shredded it with forks in the crockpot. The flavor was good. With all the hot sauce we expected it to be a bit spicier. But…again…this could be because of my impromptu modifications. Hubby added some Frank’s Red Hot sauce and we both added some ranch.
The leftovers were great in tortillas with ranch and lettuce for a buffalo chicken wrap!! Tasty!!
I plan on attempting this again! I already know a few things I will do differently!